Seite 1 von 1
Autor
Nachricht

:: Ensign ::

Beitrag #10071 Verfasst: Dienstag 5. März 2013, 22:21

Is Neopolis based on anything?
It's clear that whoever was responsible for writing up the backstory of Neopolis made it to be as asinine, materialistic, and shallow-minded as possible. For those who need a reminder, go watch the "Alert in Neopolis" cutscene from Aquanox 1.

I've always wonder whether Neopolis was based on an actual place that Herr Halfmann (or anyone else involved in the development of the World of Aqua) went to or knew of. One thing I'm particularly interested in are the "Neo Yuppies," or the youth of Neopolis who are so bored they'll become terrorists just to have fun (where on Earth is this actually the case?). Did Herr Halfmann live in a place with violent youth everywhere? Or was he a fan of a fiction series where violent youth were everywhere in what should be a technological paradise?

:: Lt. Junior Grade ::

Beitrag #10072 Verfasst: Mittwoch 6. März 2013, 02:40

Re: Is Neopolis based on anything?
Hi Mazryonh,

as for the "Neo Yuppies" idea all you need to do is look at the news these days. Even in New Zealand we have youth stealing vehicles and trying to run from the Police, or starting riots, or just gang attacking people for the fun of it. This isn't just in New Zealand, most countries have these sort of thing happening, some in worst cases others much less. And most times it's due to boredom and lack of parental supervision. They want to rebel and to get a rush any way they can.

:: Hausmeister ::

Beitrag #10077 Verfasst: Mittwoch 6. März 2013, 16:56

In Europe we have a veritable industry of riot-tourism, that takes people where there is likely to be riots they can participate in, such as Berlin on the first of may every year.

:: Lt. Junior Grade ::

Beitrag #10081 Verfasst: Mittwoch 6. März 2013, 22:32

quote:

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi hat geschrieben:
In Europe we have a veritable industry of riot-tourism, that takes people where there is likely to be riots they can participate in, such as Berlin on the first of may every year.

sound like it could be a "booming" business! ;)

Beitrag #10083 Verfasst: Donnerstag 7. März 2013, 03:28

quote:

DragoFire hat geschrieben:
as for the "Neo Yuppies" idea all you need to do is look at the news these days. Even in New Zealand we have youth stealing vehicles and trying to run from the Police, or starting riots, or just gang attacking people for the fun of it. This isn't just in New Zealand, most countries have these sort of thing happening, some in worst cases others much less. And most times it's due to boredom and lack of parental supervision. They want to rebel and to get a rush any way they can.

Maybe I ought to start reading New Zealand news then. Any relevant links you might want to share?

But it's not only just stealing vehicles, but stealing ones with military-grade weaponry in Aqua that I find hard to believe. The first bomber you fight in AQ2 is a stolen ATL-Gorgon bomber with its turret missing, about to tear the Lima 2 station to pieces. Even with that missing component, it's still carrying a Doom Mortar--mucho-dangerous military-grade weaponry, as opposed to the civilian-standard Vendetta guns that the others have--this is the fictional equivalent of someone stealing a fully-loaded and fuelled M1 Abrams tank and using it to destroy a small city. Does the Neopolis military have no security around its ships? You even fight an intoxicated NeoYuppie in AQ1 with a fully-functional ATL-Gorgon too--I believe his name is "Randis Albion" and he's supposedly so intoxicated he fires randomly.

I'm still curious as to how Freeman stole Flint's Succubus from AQ1--an experienced mercenary like himself really should know to secure his ship better.

quote:

Pardon me, what's the occasion then? I know football games in Europe really tend to attract violent hooligans (and the riots they throw) but what happens in Berlin on May 1?

Zuletzt geändert von Mazryonh am Freitag 8. März 2013, 01:46, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

:: Hausmeister ::

Beitrag #10084 Verfasst: Donnerstag 7. März 2013, 04:21

Well, it's supposedly about freedom of the worker's movement, but really, it's just bored people. Most years it stays mostly quiet, but In 2009 they had several hours of riot in the streets. Some of the policemen are the same. They are bored about sitting in their barracks all the time, so they provoke protesters to give them an excuse to cause escalation. In fact a federal officer from Frankfurt went to Berlin in 2009 not as a part of the riot control detail, but to throw rocks at them.

:: Captain ::

Beitrag #10085 Verfasst: Donnerstag 7. März 2013, 07:53

Bored people indeed. I think the way these Neo-Yuppies are depicted is as the syndrome of an oversaturated society. Rebels without a cause but petty first world problems. Which is precisely what "riot tourism" is about!

Beitrag #10087 Verfasst: Freitag 8. März 2013, 02:06

quote:

Well, it's supposedly about freedom of the worker's movement, but really, it's just bored people. Most years it stays mostly quiet, but In 2009 they had several hours of riot in the streets. Some of the policemen are the same. They are bored about sitting in their barracks all the time, so they provoke protesters to give them an excuse to cause escalation. In fact a federal officer from Frankfurt went to Berlin in 2009 not as a part of the riot control detail, but to throw rocks at them.

Oh, I see, Worker's Day in the country that birthed Karl Marx. I would think that events that involve copious alcohol consumption (like football events or Oktoberfest) would be most likely to incite riots among tourists. The only "real Oktoberfest" is in Munich, after all, and tourists/fanatics/hooligans have to follow the football matches wherever they're held. Seriously, what's worth all the violence on the 1st of May?

At least we don't have to worry about the real-life equivalent of NeoYuppies, because real-life "terror tourists" don't have access to military-grade weaponry and vehicles.

:: Commander ::

Beitrag #10284 Verfasst: Mittwoch 29. Mai 2013, 14:34

quote:

Mazryonh hat geschrieben:
At least we don't have to worry about the real-life equivalent of NeoYuppies, because real-life "terror tourists" don't have access to military-grade weaponry and vehicles.

Are you sure? http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/oct/09/virus-infects-drone-plane-command

Many countries are developing drone planes. China will sell them. I think hackers will find their ways.

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde . Aktuelle Zeit: Donnerstag 28. März 2024, 17:28.

Seite 1 von 1

Druckansicht